- Practitioners must measure their body temperature every day. If they have low-grade fever or
cold-like symptoms such as cough or nasal discharge, they will not be allowed to practice.
- Avoid 3Cs (closed spaces, crowded places, and close contact) in the waiting and treatment rooms.
Confirm the mobile phone number of patients just in case we need to trace them to reduce the
- Ventilate the waiting and treatment rooms. Open the windows and doors regularly. Use a
- Measure the temperature of patients and ask them whether they have cold-like symptoms or
dullness, and record them. If they have low-grade fever or any related symptoms, avoid
acupuncture-moxibustion treatment. Disinfect the thermometer applied to the patients each time if
it is a contact type.
- Both practitioners and patients must wear masks during medical interviews and practice,
considering there exist asymptomatic patients.
- Practitioners must wash hands using soap or disinfect their hands using 80% alcohol before and
after practice. Try to wear disposable medical gloves during practice. In this case, wash hands
again after taking off the gloves.
- Change pre-cleaned towels and linens between patients, or use disposable ones.
- Disinfect desks, chairs, doorknobs, handrails, toilets, etc., regularly. Disinfect pillows, beds and
physical therapy equipment between patients.
- Check whether first visit-patients have underlying conditions such as chronic heart diseases,
chronic pulmonary diseases, diabetes mellitus, etc. In the case of revisiting patients with such
chronic diseases, the necessity of acupuncture treatment should be reviewed, and cooperate with
- Follow each guideline when practicing in hospitals or other medical institutes.
11 June 2020
The Japan Society of Acupuncture and Moxibustion (JSAM)